2016 - 2022 TOYOTA TACOMA 3.5L V6 OIL SERVICE GUIDE
Below you'll find a guide for changing your oil in a late model (2016-2022) Toyota Tacoma with a 3.5L V6 engine.
Step 1 - Drain Oil
- Remove the lower engine cover.
- Drain the engine oil into a container by removing the oil pan drain plug.
- After the oil pan is drained, install the drain plug with a new gasket torquing to 40 Nm / 30 ft lbs.
Step 2 - Remove Filter
- Remove oil filter cap drain plug from the oil filter cap and dispose of the old O-ring.
- Install the Motivx Tools MX2341 drain tool into the oil filter cap by threading the hex portion of the tool into the bottom of the cap.
- Direct the hose into the drain container and tighten the small hex nut on the tool to start the oil flow. The hose is intentionally long but can be cut to whatever length works best for you.
- Once the oil filter cap is drained, remove the drain tool.
- Install the Motivx Tools MX2320 oil filter wrench onto the oil filter cap and remove using either the 3/8" square drive or 24mm hex.
- On over-tightened housings we recommend using a 6-point 24mm socket with a breaker bar - whatever length works best for you.
- Remove and dispose of the used oil filter and O-ring from the cap.
- Clean the inside of the oil filter cap including the threads and O-ring groove.
- Lightly oil the new O-ring and install on the cap. Be sure it's installed in the O-ring groove as shown below.
Step 3 - Install New Filter
- Install the new oil filter in the oil filter cap. Be sure the threads and sealing surface on the engine are clean, and hand thread the oil filter cap into the engine ensuring the O-ring seats properly.
- Tighten the oil filter cap using the MX2320 oil filter wrench to 25 Nm / 18 ft lbs.
- Lightly oil the new O-ring for the oil filter cap drain valve plug and install it in the groove shown below. Be sure the threads and sealing surface for the oil filter drain valve plug on the oil filter cap are clean and install the drain plug, torquing to 13 Nm / 10 ft lbs.
Step 4 - Re-fill Engine With Oil
- Refill the engine with the recommended amount and type of oil using a oil funnel and check the oil level.
- Start the engine and inspect for leaks, then re-check and top off the oil as needed.
- Install the lower engine cover.
Toyota Tacoma 3.5L Gen3 Oil Service Guides
Tools You'll Need For Your Oil Change
$ 64.95 $ 69.95
BUNDLE - Includes 64.3mm 14 flute oil filter wrench for many late model Toyota, Lexus, and Scion 2.0L - 5.7L engines, along with a oil filter drain tool that makes the oil change process much cleaner by draining the filter housing prior to removal and an advanced engine oil funnel that allows for hands free use.
Size: 64.3mm | Flutes: 14 | Construction: Machined | Material: Aluminum | Square Drive Size: 3/8" | Hex Drive Size: 24mm / 15/16" | Finish: Anodized | Warranty: Limited Lifetime | Made In: USA
Drain Tool Specifications
Drain Tool Construction: 7075 Aluminum | Hose Material: Silicone | Hose Length: 30" | Warranty: Limited Lifetime | Made In: USA
Construction: Plastic | Warranty: Limited Lifetime | Made In: Taiwan
Please select all options.
Engine code: 2GR-FKS
Engine size and configuration: 3.5L V-6
Engine oil capacity w/ filter change : 6.2 US qts w/ oil cooler, 6.1 US qts w/o oil cooler
Engine oil viscosity (SAE): 0W20
Oil pan drain plug torque: 40 Nm / 30 ft lbs
Oil filter cap torque: 25 Nm / 18 ft lbs
Parts You'll Need For Your Oil Change
OIL FILTER WITH O-RINGS
TOYOTA PART NUMBER 04152-YZZA1 OR EQUIVALENT
DRAIN PLUG GASKET
TOYOTA PART NUMBER 90430-12031 OR EQUIVALENT
6.1 TO 6.2 QUARTS OF 0W-20 OIL
Email our USA customer service team and we'll get back to you promptly.